March 28, 2012

The Evolution of a Drawing

I signed up for a Drawing class at the Springfield Art Museum. I received my Bachelors in Fine Arts at Alfred University and learned a lot about drawing and painting. I am not really attending this course to learn how to draw, but am using it more as a form of therapy. Because I am in graduate school, I  do not often make time to draw. As an art teacher and especially as an artist, this time is very important and I knew I needed to make more of it. 

 First, I chose a sculpture with an interesting shape. I don't like the rigid, straight-standing sculptures because I find them extremely boring to draw.

After marking out the basic proportions and angles, I started to loosely sketch the figure. After I was sure my proportions and features were right, I started to add shadows to define the shapes.


Here is the figure with all the initial shadows laid in:


This next step, is something I never learned at Alfred University and wish I had:
When all my shadows were there, I took a paper towel and smugged the whole drawing. It seems counter-productive, right? But, this gives the whole drawing a midtone. I can now give the drawing a whole new range of values (shades). By pulling the whites out with an eraser and adding darker darks with my pencil, I can give the figure everything from the "darkest darks", to the "whitest whites". 


And here I have, the finished drawing:


I am pretty happy with the final product, but the bent leg is a bit off and I should have given it more attention. (Just like all artists, I am my worst critic.) I did not angle the leg properly; rather than giving the appearance of foreshortening, the thigh looks deformed. I know for next week, I need to take more time in my initial sketching to make sure this doesn't happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment